Friday 26 April 2013

4KCBWDAY5 - Something a Bit Different

The prompt for today was as follows:

"It’s the annual challenge to blog in a way different to how you normally blog. You may choose to create a podcast, or vlog, create a wordless post or write in verse. You've already stretched your wings with an infographic, now it's time to freestyle. You can post on any topic you like, but be sure to post in a style different from your usual blog presentation"

So, I thought today I'd share with you one of my favourite recipes. It's for a batch of rock cakes which are according to wiki "a small fruit cake with a rough surface resembling a rock". The smell of these when they are cooking is amazing and as they are best eaten on the day they are baked, they don't tend to last long in our house!

Ingredients
225g/ 8 oz self-raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
150g/ 5 oz butter (or margarine)
75g/ 3 oz demerara sugar 
150g/ 5 oz mixed dried fruit
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk

Pre-heat oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5 

DSC_0302

Sift flour and spices into a bowl

DSC_0307

Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Or cheat and use a food mixer ;-)

DSC_0310

DSC_0312

Add sugar (I've used dark brown sugar because it was what I had in the cupboard and I prefer the taste)

DSC_0315

Mix in milk and egg to make a fairly stiff mixture. Yes I've got an extra egg in mine, I tend to make extra mixture because cakes get eaten so quickly in my house!

DSC_0316

DSC_0317

Add dried fruit, I used sultanas, raisins, the remaining 3 glacé cherries in the pot and some crystalised ginger because I didn't have any mixed peel. Basically what ever you fancy or what ever you've got in your cupboards! I believe technically it's supposed to be currants, raisins and candied orange peel.

DSC_0320

DSC_0322

Put some greaseproof paper on a baking tray and put spoonful amounts of the mixture on there. Don't worry about making them look neat, just make sure you give enough space for them to spread out when they're cooking. The recipe claims to make around 8 cakes, I managed 13 from my increased mixture so had to use an extra tray.

DSC_0323

Bake for about 20 minutes and then cool on a wire baking rack.

DSC_0333

DSC_0338

Best eaten on the same day as baking...

DSC_0344

Yummy!


Thanks for dropping by, for more Knitting and Crochet Blog Week posts you can stick the following code into your favourite search engine "4KCBWDAY5". If you're already joining in then please drop me a comment and I'll come over to your blog for a read :-)

Finally I leave you with this dreadfully written ditty...


There was a lady from Brit'in
Who felt her bum was for sittin'
So she picked up some sticks
And learned a few tricks
And was proud to have taught herself knittin'

*cringe*

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) Only got 6 of them left since I baked them last night! They don't last long in my house lol

      Delete
  2. *chuckle* at the limerick!
    Those rock cakes look good, almost like scones. What a fun name and how neat there are other names for brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get muddled between all the different sorts of sugar :-S

      Delete
  3. The Hubs does the baking/cooking in this house, but I'll share with him....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband tends to do more of the cooking too but I'm the baker ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...