Sunday 20 October 2013

Mollie Makes Crochet - Review

I mentioned a few posts ago that I had recently bought a copy of the Mollie Makes Crochet book so I thought I'd let you know some of my thoughts on it

DSC_0080


At first glance it's a beautiful book to look at. Lots of bright colours which always goes down well with me lol. Just look at the styling for this front page, I would love to live in a house like this

DSC_0071


Inside I found it a little disappointing. There are some beautiful projects in there but they aren't particularly original in my opinion. Anyone who has been on the internet for a while or has even a basic knowledge of crochet will have heard of granny squares and ripple stitches. I appreciate that this book is probably aimed at newer crochet-ers but I've been doing it less than 18 months and whilst I wouldn't call myself experienced, I didn't feel like I'd be learning anything new particularly with these designs

DSC_0074


The flowers were pretty but there wasn't really any ideas how you could use them other than a bit of writing suggesting they can be used for decorating blankets, dresses or handbags. 

DSC_0072


I thought these monster covers were rather fun although my children don't have any gadgets really so I doubt I'll be making them any time soon!

DSC_0073


I loved these Russian dolls. I like the decorations and the way the doll is constructed looks very neat. I definitely want to give these a go at some point

DSC_0076


Almost half of the book is devoted to techniques. They're clear to follow but if you've already got a crochet book then chances are you'll have these described already

DSC_0077



DSC_0078


My over all impression of the book was that I wasn't really it's target audience and I'm not particularly sure who is. I hoped to find it full of colourful, inspiring ideas but unfortunately, for me at least, this wasn't the case. Given I can find patterns for most of these projects on the internet for free it does rather beg the question why buy the book?

I guess if you are wanting to learn how to crochet and you're only just exploring what you can make then it would be a good book to have a look through. It doesn't really teach you how to crochet if you're a complete beginner though so you'll have to find that elsewhere

DSC_0079


I paid £4.49 for my copy from The Book People (it's currently £4.99) which is think is about right. If you compare it to a crochet magazine then it's got more detail, beautiful photographs and because it's a spiral bound hardback book it will last a bit longer than a magazine too! I wouldn't pay the RRP of £16.99 for it at all. If you like the styling and fancy a nice read then go for it, if you're wanting something a bit more technical or inspiring then look elsewhere

I don't regret buying the book and I have looked through it several times. I'm just not as super excited by it as I thought I would be. Does anyone else own this book and have any thoughts on it they'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. I covet craft books but then there are great patterns out there I wanna snap up. I've put a hold on buying books unless it's used. The styling in your purchase is extraordinary. There are some fun and lovely projects in it. You could always kick them up a notch with striping or more complicated hooked sts. And the possibility of color combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have a quick look at the book on ravelry before I buy it to see if the patterns appeal :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...