Eventually though I got my act together, finished the squares, slip stitched them together and started looking for inspiration for the border. I eventually found a design I liked in my crochet borders book and got hooking. Here is the result :-)
To do the border I first did a round of treble crochet and then I did a double crochet in every other stitch with a chain between them. The rounds after that I did my double crochets in the gap made by the chain space and chained inbetween each stitch. If I'd had enough of any colour left I would have done every alternate row in the same colour so it would form vertical stripes. Instead I stuck with warm colours on one row and cool colours on the next
The yarn colours were a "Lucy pack" from Deramores. I'd already made a granny stripe blanket for my oldest son and as he and his brother share a bunk bed I wanted their blankets to co-ordinate even though they are very different
It's such a happy blanket and I'm absolutely thrilled with it :-) I used Little Tin Bird's pattern for the squares which is very straight forward and easy to follow. I made 140 squares for my blanket and it fits a single bed nicely. More importantly it's the perfect size for two of my children to snuggle up with together reading stories.
I'll be linking this post in with Yarn Along and WIP Wednesday. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back on Friday with another finished project, this time an Alec sweater for my little boy (he's done very well for FO's these past few weeks lol!)