Wednesday 27 February 2013

WIP Wednesday

Hi guys! I've got two projects to show you today, I've not really worked very much on my scrappy granny blanket because I've run out of the blue joining yarn and keep forgetting to order it. Anyway, first up is my Mystery KAL shawl:

DSC06704

I've just got one more clue to go which is due to be released tomorrow. I'm wondering if the design in the middle is going to be repeated along the whole length of the shawl in the next section. I like it but it does require a bit of concentration to knit as the lace is worked on both the right and wrong sides and there are some funky purl decreases in there I'd not done before.

DSC06705

It's pretty though, I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished and blocked. The yarn is Mulberry silk by DyeForYarn, beautiful soft, stunning colour and sheen but takes a bit of getting used to when knitting as it's made up of lots of small plies which have a tendency to want to separate and get caught in the wrong places. I think I've got used to it by now though so not giving me too much trouble. I'd probably choose their Tussah silk in future though.

 My other project I'm feeling a bit "meh" about. It's a dress for my youngest daughter but I think I should have probably stuck with the 2 year size rather than 3 years. She's a teeny almost 2 year old but her chest size was slightly bigger than the 2 year but not quite as big as 3 year and as I'm knitting in cotton and children inevitably grow I decided to go bigger. I should probably put it on a bigger circular and try it on her!

DSC06706

The pattern is Oriental Lily by Georgi Hallam and I'm knitting it with some Debbie Bliss Cotton that I've had in my stash for a while. It was originally intended to be a cabled cardigan but well, it's cotton...! The purple yarn was given to me by a friend. I shall continue with it and if it's too big well I'll just have to knit quickly and make her a smaller one. It's 1 month and 1 day until her second birthday, how on earth has that come round so quickly??

Thanks for dropping by, please visit Tami's Amis for more WIP Wednesday posts

10 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to knit that dress for years and never got around to it - at least it'll be useful next summer if it doesn't fit now - and more than likely she'll be in full DRESS mode by then anyway :)
    Isn't your shawl looking wonderful!! I'd love to try knitting with beads...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice little pattern actually. I like the wide neckline too for getting over wriggling little people who would rather be playing with their toys.

      Bead knitting is much easier than it seems. I was quite daunted by it but it's so simple. Just get the right sized beads and crochet hook, put the bead on the hook, pull the stitch through the bead and replace stitch on knitting needle. Booknits has some beautiful beaded shawl patterns on ravelry and they're very straight-forward to follow

      Delete
  2. both pieces are lovely. Love the colors in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors of the dress for your daughter!!
    And the red of your mystery shawl is really pretty. I don't think I could handle both the beading and the lace!! I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lol. Actually the beading is pretty easy. The lace I find more daunting but I think in my case a lot of it is mind over matter. I can do all the stitches individually but some how when it's lace yarn it seems harder

      Delete
  4. Both projects are lovely, my favorite is the shawl because of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! That sort of project would be more than enough to wear me out! All those surprise purls and beads must be fun though. This is going to be one pretty project, I can definitely tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is pretty and vibrant in the red. The beads make it so luxurious! How are you getting the beads on - crochet hook, yarn threading, or floss threading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a tiny crochet hook and pull the loop of the stitch through before replacing it back on the knitting needle :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...